I’m getting urges for a new laptop again.
- Small and light-weight (it’s 1.4kg)
- Long battery life (~6 hours)
- Runs Windows well (it’s part of my job)
The Compaq has worked pretty well for me but my biases are changing. My new requirements are:
- Relatively lightweight (but not so worried about small any more)
- Backlit keyboard (I do quite a lot of writing at night but I don’t touchtype. A backlit keyboard would make both Kim and me happier.)
- High resolution screen (at least higher than the current 1280×800)
- Well over four hours useful battery life (i.e. I might accept four but I really want more)
- I’d still choose battery life over performance and I’d prefer it not to have an optical drive to save weight.
And while it’s not necessary, I suspect that any laptop that meets those criteria will have one of the much cooler solid-state hard drives. They’re lighter and use less battery, plus they have no moving parts so they’re more reliable.
When it comes to the operating system, while I’d like to have a proper go using Mac OSX, Windows 7 fulfils most of my requirements and is more appropriate to my job.
Finally, it’d be nice if it looked kind of stylish, maybe even with a bit of colour.
As normal, I find myself wishing I could cut’n'paste features from multiple models so that I could end up with the perfect laptop!