Manassas City Public Schools and its community partners will be providing up to 4,400 weekend meal packs for selected elementary students in 2011-12, starting in November. These packs promote healthy eating and provide a much needed source of nutrition for students on weekends when school meals are not available.
Please consider donating food for the packs at the Wellington Community Center now through February 19, 2012. Packs contain individually sized, ready to eat (including microwavable) food items that do not require refrigeration:
- Hormel Kid’s Kitchen – Chicken or Spaghetti (7 oz)
- Campbell E-Z Open Soups – Chicken Noodle, Chicken & Rice or Cream of Chicken (7.25 oz)
- Campbell Soups – Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Tomato or Vegetable Beef (7.25 oz)
- Dole Cups/Fruit Bowls – Diced Peaches, Mandarin Orange, Mixed Fruit, Pineapple or Tropical Fruit (4 oz)
- Seedless Raisins in Individual Boxes
- General Mills Cereal Bowl Packs – Kix, Cheerios or Rice Chex (2.1 oz)
- Quaker Chewy Chocolate Granola Bars (6.7 oz)
- Silk Vanilla or Chocolate Soy Milk (Shelf-stable) sip box (8.25 oz or 0.5 pt)
- Juicy Juice 100% Juice Sip Boxes – Orange, Grape or Fruit Punch (6 oz)
Or, donate money to stretch the food dollar even farther: Each backpack for 1 week for 1 student is $9.50.
1. Make checks payable to Grace United Methodist Church with “Backpack Snack Attack” in the memo line.
2. Mail money donation to MCPS – 9000 Tudor Lane Manassas, VA 20110: Attention Sandy Thompson.
3. Money donations to the program are a great holiday gift alternative!
Grace United Methodist Church
Manassas City Public Schools Health Services and Food Services
Manassas Chapters of Beta Sigma Phi Women’s Sorority
Manassas Citizens Advisory and School Engagement Council
Trinity Episcopal Church
Upper Room Christian Cathedral
Wellington Community Association