Analogue to Digital switch over
Television in New Zealand is currently undergoing the biggest change since colour was introduced in 1974. The switch to Digital transmission is well under way. The Government has announced the 'Switch Off' dates for the existing Analogue system.
The Digital Switch Over will happen as follows:
Why is New Zealand moving to Digital TV?
- Picture and sound quality on Digital TV is far superior to Analogue TV. (DVD quality)
- Technology! It's important that New Zealand keeps pace with worldwide changes
- Overseas programsare increasingly being recorded in the digital format only
- New Zealand TV shows need to be recorded in the digital format to be easily exported overseas
- To free up broadcast space. Turning off the analogue signals will free up radio spectrum that can be used for other services
The benefits of switching to Digital Television
- More channels, more options, more choice — up to 15 crystal clear Digital Freeview channels
- Better picture and better sound — DVD quality, wide-screen, crystal-clear digital reception and sound
- An electronic program guide — on-board TV guide allowing viewers to find what they want to watch quickly and easily
- FREEVIEW: It’s FREE — once you have purchased a digital set-top box, PVR or integrated digital TV. There are no ongoing costs
Trackside Analogue Switch Off
For more information on Freeview and its channels specific to your area follow below: