VIP is experienced in performing virtualisation TCO and virtualisation scope reviews for companies of all sizes. Let us work with you in determining the scope and return from virtualisation. In addition, our analytical review provides high-level target virtual infrastructure design that can be used to jumpstart your project design phase.
The paper will include:
- Assessment of the current Wintel and Linux estate for virtualisation applicability.
- Assessment and documentation of the financial and business returns from virtualization.
- Assessment of the use of the SAN with respect to virtualization and recommendations on its use.
- Proposal of a high level target environment.
What options are available?
Virtualisation review and TCO analysis based on performance snapshot (1-2 days performance data per machine)
Virtualisation review and TCO analysis based on performance analysis (14 - 30 days performance data per machine)
For each of the above options you can:
- Pick a representative subset and analyse that subset for suitability and utilisation.
- Analyse the entire server estate for suitability and utilisation.
How is the performance data collected?
There are several options available to collect performance data and VIP is on hand to assist you in determining the best method for your organisation. In general the options are:
- Use existing performance monitoring data (if you have the tools in place).
- PlateSpin PowerRecon.
- VMware Capacity Planner service.
- Native OS tools - Perfmon for windows and sar for Linux.
- Server utilisation information.
- Future server and capacity growth.
- Indicative costings of data centre space.
- Indicative server costs and maintenance costs.
- Architecture map of existing systems.
- Current storage utilisation.
- Future storage growth.
- Accurate asset data.
Get the Experts to turn your business case into reality.
Once you know your expected returns and get budget approval for a project why not engage VIP to:
- Complete the virtual infrastructure design.
- Build and deploy your virtual infrastructure environment.
- Assist with operational and support procedures and methodology for the virtual infrastructure.
- P2V (Physical to Virtual) your existing servers into the new virtual infrastructure.
- Provide the VIP VMware mentoring and third level VMware admin support hours.
- Review your disaster recovery process to leverage your new virtual infrastructure.
What if I'm an outsourcing or hosting company? How can VIP help me?
VIP can help you to
- Understand the potential service offerings under a virtual infrastructure.
- Build a service cost model.
- Build a service business model.
- Design and deploy your virtual infrastructure
- Review your virtual infrastructure to ensure that you're running at the optimal level.
- Provide on-call SLA based third level virtual infrastructure support.