Our Professional team includes: Speech Language Therapists and Psychologists.
You do not need a referral to attend START, all you need to do is give us a call on 09 3796364.
- A comprehensive assessment and treatment service for individuals or groups delivered by either an individual professional or a multidisciplinary team.
- An ongoing programme for those who have received previous treatment.
- Liaison with other treatment providers.
- Information for parents, whanau, teachers, health care and community groups.
- Information to the public directly or through the media.
- Advocacy for improved treatment provision.
START also aims to:
- Encourage and support New Zealand based research.
- Liaise with other related national and international organisations.
Assessment appointments are available, lasting up to an hour with a Speech-Language Therapist. Assessments for children under 6 years are free of charge.
Individual treatment sessions are available in person, over the phone or via Skype, each lasting approximately 45 minutes with a Speech-Language Therapist.
Consultation fees are $45 or $35 if you have a Community Services Card
Group treatment is offered when appropriate.
Booster Courses are run throughout the year, often in conjunction with members of Speak Easy, a self help group for people who stutter. These are short courses aimed at refreshing skills and knowledge.
Intensive Courses are planned for the year and run subject to numbers.
Telephone or Skype appointments may be an option, if travel to START is not possible. Please contact us to discuss this.
Information about stuttering is available for anyone interested in stuttering. We can offer advice and support to teachers, preschool staff, carers, employers and others who come into contact with a child or adult who stutters and wants to find out more.
Professional Development for Speech-Language Therapists: We are able to run workshops and seminars to offer development opportunities for Therapists. These can be tailored to the needs of the group or individual.
Consultations for Speech-Language Therapists: We offer phone or face-to-face consults for Speech-Language therapists who are working with children or adults who stutter.