1. GENERAL The is a Forklift mounted device used for the transportation of new and spent anode assemblies having a maximum weight of 1700 kg. The device comprises two parts: a clamp weighing 530 kg and a mancage weighing 220 kg. The clamp can be used with or without the mancage on a forklift having a minimum lifting capacity of 3000 kg. The clamp uses a toggle action to convert the self weight of the anode assembly or rod into a horizontal force sufficient to securely grab and lift the assembly or rod. The clamp will release the anode rod when the anode assembly is supported by another means. The jaws of the clamp will articulate to allow the anode assembly to hang at an angle due to the offset centre of mass. The mancageis specifically designed for use with the clamp and should not be used separately.
2. ATTACHING CLAMP TO FORKLIFT
The clamp is connected to the forklift as follows:
Position the forks at the correct spacing to suit the clamp.Insert the forks into clamp until they are fully home.Wrap the safety chain around the back of both forks and secure the free end of the chain in the keyhole keeper on the body of the clamp.Under no circumstances should the device be used without the safety chain being fitted correctly.If the mancage is fitted to the clamp, ensure that both pins are in place securing the mancage to the clamp and that both safety clips are in place locking the pins in position.
3. ATTACHING THE MANCAGE TO THE CLAMP
The mancage shall be fitted to the Agrippa clamp as follows:
With the Agrippa clamp on the forks align the clamp with the slides on the mancage.Drive slowly forward until the mancage is fully home on the clamp body.Secure the mancage to the clamp body with the two pins available.Raise the clamp with the forklift to a comfortable height and place the locking clip through each of the two locking pins.Lower the clamp to the floor to allow an operator to get into the mancage.Ensure the chain securing the clamp to the forklift is fitted correctly.
4. USING THE MANCAGEWatch for obstructions and alert forklift driver accordingly.Ensure that the door is closed AT ALL TIMES when the mancage is in use.During travelling and maneuvering keep your extremities inside the perimeter of the mancage.Watch out for the anode rod swinging towards the mancage during loading and travelling.
4.1 Operator in mancage
4.2 Forklift driverWatch for obstructions when travelling and when raising forks.Drive slowly when travelling and keep the load or empty clamp as close to the floor as practicable.Avoid rapid acceleration and deceleration.Avoid bumps and sloping or uneven floors.Watch out for other traffic.
5. USING THE ANODE CLAMPThe clamp is attached to the anode rod by driving the forklift forward until the rod is fully engaged in the jaws. When the rod is fully engaged the plastic guides mounted on the jaws will be at right angles to the rod.Once in the jaws the clamp can be lowered down the rod to the required position.Raising the forks will cause the jaws to close and grab the sides of the anode rod.Once in the clamp and disconnected from the P&F conveyor or clear of a pallet the anode assembly should be lowered on the forks to just clear of the floor for transport to the required location.Drive slowly with the load or empty clamp as close to the floor as practicable.If the mancage is fitted, the forklift driver may need directions from the operator in the mancage to position the clamp on the anode rod.When the assembly is at its destination the clamp is disengaged from the anode rod by lowering the forks until the anode assembly is sitting on the floor or pallet or hanging on the P&F conveyor then reversing slowly away.
6. LOADING AND UNLOADING PALLETSThe clamp can be used to unload spent assemblies off pallets and load new assemblies on to pallets but must only be used on that portion of the anode rod which extends above the crossbar on the pallet.The jaws of the clamp must be engaged on to the anode rod over their full length but can be safely applied at the very top of the anode rod.Once the butt is lifted clear of the pallet it should be placed on the floor and the jaws lowered down the anode rod for travelling to reduce the forklift mast height.Where the butt is very short or missing it may be necessary to attach the clamp and lift the assembly before the gate securing the rod on the pallet is opened.When loading new assemblies the clamp will need to be attached at a point on the rod which allows the underside of the block to reach the required height but also allows the assembly to be lowered into position without the clamp hitting the open gate on the pallet.
7. DETACHING CLAMP FROM FORKLIFTPosition clamp/mancage on floor at required location.Detach safety chain and place in holder provided.Reverse forklift out of clamp.