Amalgamated Builders Limited - Commercial & Residential Construction Specialists
ABL is a multi-award-winning construction company with a large, supremely competent workforce, experienced in all facets of construction.
Renowned for the quality of its team - reliable, hard working, highly skilled and highly experienced - this translates into an outstanding track record and consistent excellence in commercial and residential construction throughout the lower South Island.
Proudly South Island owned and operated for fifty years, ABL's experience and success in major construction projects is testament to an infrastructure where site foremen, contract supervision and the company's area construction supervisors work together to ensure efficient site control.
Its diverse range of successful construction projects range from the landmark Sofitel Hotel complex in Queenstown and the Millennium Hotel Queenstown, to the Milford Sound Visitor Centre, the Milton Prison Project, Dunedin Casino, the current upgrade of the Dunedin Town Hall, Dunedin Centre and Municipal Chambers, and countless award-winning residential homes.
ABL is proud to let the quality of its work do the talking. Its philosophy is simple: do the job right, stick to a quote, do it safely no matter what the challenges or technical difficulties, and always be accountable and available to the client.
ABL acts as the main contractor with responsibility for the efficient administration of sub-contracts and effective control of the administrative aspects of the contract. This management function ensures that client requirements are met and that the job is completed within time and budget.
Design and Build
The multi-talented team at ABL has the experience and expertise clients rely on to give them the practical design solutions to their building needs.
The 7-Step ABL Step Design & Build Process is clear and simple, giving clients the assurance they need, every step of the way:
- The client or real estate agent provides ABL with an initial design brief.
- ABL prepares cost options based on suitable sites available, and on the building preferences outlined in the initial brief. ABL gives the cost options to the client for consideration.
- Depending on the client’s choice, sketch plans and a preliminary specification are prepared. Further detailed design and costing is then worked through with the client’s full consultation.
- Once those plans/costings are approved, a legal agreement is signed between ABL and the client, allowing design and construction to proceed.
- Full construction drawings are prepared for local council consent and client approval.
- Once the project receives a building consent, construction can begin. Clients will receive a regularly updated construction programme (see below), fully informing them of the project’s progress at each stage of construction to ensure compliance with all client requirements.
- Once successfully completed to the client’s satisfaction, the new building is ready for occupation.
Why choose the ABL Design & Build Team?
- Proven reliability
- Almost 50 years’ experience in the construction industry
- Availability and accountability of key staff
- Total commitment to the job
The ABL Design & Build Team works very closely with each client, ensuring continuous clear lines of communication, providing any information or advice the client might need, and readily responding to client requests.
Clients need and want to know how long a particular project will take to complete. ABL gives clients that piece of mind with a clear construction time-table or programme, itemizing every intended sequence of work to be undertaken along with its expected completion date. ABL either puts the programme together using in-house expertise, or, for larger more complex projects, draws on outside specialists for the job. Either way, clients can expect the construction programme to be updated regularly, to keep them fully informed of progress to date.
Financial planning, design, development and implementation – at every stage of a project, clients can be sure they will be fully consulted by knowledgeable and approachable ABL staff to ensure all requirements are met and objectives are achieved.
Administrative and construction quality control has been an integral part of ABL management systems for many years. With a well-established quality assurance policy, systems based on the ISO9002 and NZS9002 standards, comprehensive checks and procedures followed through on every major project, clients can depend on the ABL team to meet all quality requirements.
ABL uses totally integrated computer data processing systems to maintain stringent control over the workflow, administration and financial aspects of every project. Updated daily, this ensures accurate job costing and quotations, control and reporting of cost centres on demand, employee productivity reports and inventory functions. Complete contract histories and projections are available at any time during the project execution.
Construction Machinery and Equipment
Mobile cranes, front-end loaders, all manner of trucks. You name it, and ABL has it, ready to be used as required on site – or orders the best equipment for the job. The Queenstown branch, for example, has just purchased a top-of-the-line Manitou Tele-Handler, a “forklift on steroids” as the guys like to say. All projects, including those away from base, are carefully assessed to decide what equipment is needed and at what stage of development.