Accessing our services : IHC New Zealand | Understanding Intellectual disability

By: Ihc  05-Apr-2012


How to access our services

Anyone wanting to use our services must go through a comprehensive needs assessment, which gathers information from the person with an intellectual disability and sometimes their family.

Some people are referred by ACC or approach us directly. Most assessments are done by Needs Assessment and Service Coordination Services (NASC), which are part of the Ministry of Health. To find out who to contact in your area, call your local IDEA Services office and they will give you details.

The NASC agencies assess needs, coordinate services, review people in services, and
undertake reassessments if needs change.


We are largely funded by government through the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Social Development. For accommodation and contract board the people receiving services also contribute some of their benefit or pay.

For more information about charges, contact your local IDEA Services office.

Other products and services from Ihc


Our services : IHC New Zealand | Understanding Intellectual disability

Services are provided by IHC’s service delivery arms called IDEA Services Limited, IDEA Services family/whanau services and Timata Hou. Every person is encouraged to have a personal plan that reflects their aspirations, dreams and goals. We work in consultation with families, addressing language and cultural issues should they arise.


Personal planning : IHC New Zealand | Understanding Intellectual disability

Outcomes Facilitators are based across the country and work in partnership with the individual, their family/whanau, friends and support staff to develop a personal plan. We foster positive partnerships with each person we support and their networks, to help them achieve their individual aspirations and goals. IDEA Services is committed to a personal planning process driven by each person’s aspirations, wishes and dreams.