Seddon Park has undergone a number of name changes in its proud history.
The venue was originally known as Seddon Park, having been named after former New Zealand Prime Minister Richard John (King Dick) Seddon. In 1990 the oval was renamed Trustbank Park following a major renovation and construction of the present pavilion, sponsored by Trustbank Waikato. In 1997 a merger between Westpac and Trust Bank meant the renaming of the ground to WestpacTrust Park in line with the new bank's name and subsequently a further change was made to Westpac Park.
The ground is located close to the centre of Hamilton - NZ's fourth largest city 150 kilometres south of Auckland - and is renowned for its "village green" setting, affording a picnic atmosphere for spectators. Seddon Park is considered one of the country's finest international cricket venues.
Seddon Park has been the home of the Northern Districts' Cricket Association since the Association was formed for the 1953 season. It became NZ's newest test venue in the 1990/91 season when New Zealand and Sri Lanka played out a drawn match.
In 2005/06 to comply with the requirements of international cricket, Seddon Park undertook a major upgrade. This included a new wicket block, completely upgraded outfield and a new outdoor practice facility. The result of this saw Seddon Park allotted two one day internationals v Sri Lanka and v Australia for the 2006/07 season.
At capacity for cricket matches the venue holds 11,500 people.