Need Help? | Purely Property Management

By: Purely Property Management  06-Dec-2011

May 16, 2010

Tenancies do not always run smoothly, but there is a range of things you can do to sort out any problems.

  • Make sure you do things at every stage of the tenancy to avoid problems, whether you are a landlord or a tenant.
  • If you have a problem with your landlord/tenant, the first thing you should do is talk to them about it. The sooner you talk to your tenant or landlord about what’s wrong, the easier it can be to sort it out. Be clear about what your concerns are. Say what you think a good solution might be. Sometimes writing down what the problem is can help explain it to the other person. Describe the problem carefully and give a reasonable amount of time for it to be put right.
  • If this doesn’t work, staff are available to talk it over. We can help with advice and information so people can decide what to do next. Sometimes people decide to talk to each other again, or to send a letter about the problem.

May 16, 2010

Did you know that, each year, the Department of Building and Housing receives approximately 45,000 applications to the Tenancy Tribunal?

One of the most important ways of avoiding problems is by keeping in regular contact with your tenant and sorting out any problems as soon as they happen. (It’s a good idea to complete the landlord’s contact details form and give it to your tenant to make it easy for them to get in touch with you.)

The Act says you must:

  • allow the tenant quiet enjoyment of the premises (which means not harassing the tenant or interfering with their reasonable peace, comfort and privacy, or allowing others to do so)
  • comply with all building, health and safety standards that apply to the premises
  • pay rates and insurance
  • give the tenant appropriate receipts and statement for rent payments and written notice of any rent increase
  • maintain the property in a reasonable state of repair during the tenancy
  • tell the tenant in writing if the property is on the market for sale.

The Act also says that you must not:

  • seize the tenant’s goods for any reason
  • interfere with the supply of any services to the premises (such as gas, water, electricity supply or telephone)
  • enter the property except as permitted by law or with the tenant’s consent
  • unreasonably withhold permission for a tenant to attach any fixtures
  • change the locks without the tenant’s consent
  • unreasonably withhold permission for a tenant to sublet or assign the tenancy to someone else, if assigning or subletting is not prohibited by the tenancy agreement. (A landlord can set reasonable conditions on subletting or assigning. However, any discrimination in terms of the Human Rights Act would be held to be unreasonable.)

You could also consider hiring a property manager .

May 16, 2010


It’s your property so get it right – here’s how:

The Department of Building and Housing is running introductory education seminars to help new landlords run their rental properties effectively.

The seminars are designed for landlords who have little or no experience in the New Zealand rental market.

Contact Purely Property Management


Print this page

Other products and services from Purely Property Management


Latest Changes In Property | Purely Property Management

Asked if suggesting buying a house as a hedge against inflation contradicted Reserve Bank and Government advice to Kiwis to quit their obsession with residential property and get saving, Stubbs said the central bank was trying to avoid another property market bubble burst.


Property Updates | Purely Property Management

The Residential Tenancies Amendment Act 2010 has made some important changes including updating and clarifying the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants, and extending the Act’s coverage to include boarding house landlords and tenants.


Uncategorized | Purely Property Management

Housing Minister Phil Heatley announced the Housing Emergency Lease Programme to provide rental homes for those forced out of their properties by the September 4 earthquake and aftershocks. The scheme will be run by Housing New Zealand, with people owning holiday homes, farm cottages and for-sale homes asked to rent out their properties.