Perfect Produce - Cos Lettuce
Mediterranean heritage…grown here in Pukekohe!
Cos lettuce is said to have originated from the Greek island of Cos (Kos) over 5000 years ago and may well be oldest form of cultivated lettuce. It is also known as Romaine lettuce due to the Roman’s belief in its healthful, and healing properties. The emperor Augustus Caesar is said to have put up a statue to honour its healing abilities after being cured of a serious illness. Good looking and practical, this legacy lives on today in name of the ever-popular Caesar salad.
- Heads are uniform firm and compact.
- Leaves are of firm shape, crisp, attractive leafy green colour, sweet tasting.
- Very tolerant of heat – can be used in toasties, heated wraps etc.
- Has a longer shelf life compared to other lettuces.
- Cos is the most nutritious of all lettuces. It is rich in Vitamins A, B & C plus Beta Carotene, Calcium and Iron.
- The spoon-shaped leaves of ‘Just B Cos’ are an ideal healthy snack - they are crisp enough to offer an alternative to chips and crackers. Just drizzle with a tasty vinaigrette and arrange on a platter or serve with dips and spreads.