GOAL: Facilitate high availability,
collaboration, and backup among branch office users, by providing unobtrusive real-time
mirroring and locking of files.
As companies expand and open new office locations,
the requirement for efficient
inter-office collaboration becomes increasingly
important to ensure that geographic distance does
not become an inhibitor of growth. One important
aspect of this effort is to ensure that data is
quickly available for any employee wherever they
need it, regardless of whether they are in the
headquarter office or a branch office location.
File mirroring solutions have thus been deployed
to provide for employee file sharing.
This mechanism is generally far more
efficient than emailing files back and
forth, especially if the files are large in size.Business Challenges
However, standard file mirroring solutions generally
lack a central feature important for a
collaborative environment where inter-office
file servers are mirrored and data is shared:
Without integrated file locking,
mirrored file servers expose live documents to
. That is, a colleague in
Office A can open and edit a document at the
same time a colleague in Office B is working
on the same document. In such a scenario,
standard file mirroring solutions will only
save the changes made by the person closing
the file last.
Peer Solution's Benefits
Our complete PEER Collaboration Package offers
both real-time file locking AND real-time
The surest and simplest way of eliminating version
conflicts with any file mirroring solution is to
add a true file locking solution - one that offers,
at a minimum, real-time detection of file use and
immediate remote locking. This assures that when a
file is open at location A, all other versions -
say local copies at various branch offices - are
locked down, preventing anyone from opening and
revising it. When the file closes, the file lock
is immediately released and ready for synchronization.
, thus eliminating version
conflict and providing a fail-safe collaborative
Download an evaluation today to gain these benefits
- Transparent file locking among N number of geographical office branches/Servers
- Cross Domain File Locking and File Copy
- Real-Time File Locking and File Transfers among Servers
- Multi-Threaded File Locking, File Release and File Propagation
- All systems must be Windows based file servers.
- The Peer Collaboration Package (i.e. PeerSync Server, PeerLock Server, and the PSListener agent) should be installed on each file server participating in the collaboration group.
- The servers must be able to see each other via UNC Path.
- Please do not try to test using Wordpad/ Notepad. These file types cannot be locked due to the nature of the application.
- PeerLock by default is set to be optimized for file servers. As such, files should be opened from desktops connecting to the file server; not locally on the file server through the Windows Explorer.