Civil Defence

By: Clutha District Council  06-Dec-2011
Keywords: Civil Defence, Civil Defence Emergency

What should I do in the event of an emergency?


The Clutha District Council employs an officer within the Regulatory Services Department to organise and co-ordinate our Civil Defence initiatives and to keep our emergency systems up to date and at a high state of readiness.

In a sense, all Clutha residents are part of Civil Defence, because when a serious disaster happens, people in the affected area will probably have to fend for themselves as individuals, as families, as neighbours, and as a community – until other help can be provided.

A Civil Defence emergency is only declared when emergency services feel the situation is beyond their resources and a life threatening situation exists. If this happens, the Civil Defence organisation takes over to co-ordinate the response and local Civil Defence centres are activated.

There is no vast full-time Civil Defence force standing by. Council’s own staff and other material resources form a basis, and are supported in a Civil Defence emergency by locally available resources of emergency services, government departments, by voluntary organisations in the community, and by individual volunteers.

Your Civil Defence Centre is somewhere you can go to for assistance or to offer your services during a Civil Defence emergency. During an emergency, the location of open centres will be broadcast on your local radio station.

The reality is that in such an event, Civil Defence and emergency staff cannot immediately be at everyone’s doorstep and do everything at once. The response is determined by priority; the first of which is always people’s safety.

It is therefore vital for all Clutha residents to take steps of your own to help prepare you and your family for the possibility of a Civil Defence emergency .

Other Downloads

Keywords: Civil Defence, Civil Defence Emergency

Contact Clutha District Council

Email - none provided

Print this page

Other products and services from Clutha District Council


Rural Fire

The burning of agriculture crop residues, stubble or straw provided that no crop residue, stubble or straw shall be burnt until a fully ploughed fire break of not less than five metres in width has been created around the area to be burnt. A ban on all fires on any day or days of extreme fire hazard as broadcast under Section 20 of the Forest & Rural Fires Act takes precedence over this notice.


Property/Map Info Disclaimer

The new version has all the same features as previous and places aspecial emphasis on the provision of public access to council informationfor the benefit of the public and especially council ratepayers. When using for the first time, users without the software required toview the programme will be prompted to download it. Where are the underground services in my street. How to Navigate the Map. To Pan, use the ?Pan.


Road and Bridge closures

Notice is hereby given that pursuant to Regulation 11 of the Heavy Motor Vehicle Regulations 1974, the Clutha District Council has fixed the following maximum weight limits for heavy motor vehicles and combinations including a heavy motor vehicle on the bridges described hereunder.


Water Supply

Council provides regular supplies of both potable water for both human consumption and stock drinking water in the district via 22 urban and rural water supply schemes. The urban supplies are Clinton, Kaka Point, Waihola, Benhar (South Bruce/Stirling Treatment Plant), Stirling, Cherry Lane, Heriot, Waikaka and Pukeau. Rural Water Schemes primarily provide potable water for stock but also provide for domestic consumption.