The Power of a Picture
Earth and environmental visualization and analysis differs from environmental data management in that the latter is the process of organizing existing data and the former is the process of translating that data into knowledge through the utilization of sophisticated software, scientific knowledge and practical experience.
Because of the complex technical nature of many environmental projects, it becomes difficult to visualize physical site dynamics. Through the use of specialized software and working experience, ddms is able to generate powerful 2 and 3D graphics to address specific practical questions or to visualize a physical environmental condition.
Among other software, ddms utilizes the following packages to create compelling visualizations:
- C Tech Development Corporation Mining Visualization System (MVS)©
- Esri ArcGIS© Platform
- Esri ArcScene© (formerly 3D Analyst)
- RockWare RockWorks©
- Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator©
From Visualization to Analysis
Software also enables us to perform analysis of complex physical conditions based on the data collected from field observations and laboratory analyses. Coupled with an environmental data management system to streamline the data input process, these analyses can be done today in a fraction of the time it historically took, while creating superior graphics to explain analytical output in the process.
- Generating a groundwater elevation and flow direction map from data collected from monitoring wells screened in the same aquifer;
- Generation of three-dimensional representations to approximate the lithology of a superfund site;
- Generating a map to communicate a change in bathymetry in a river from one time period to another;
- Generating a graph to show the degredation of chlorinated solvents (eg., PCE, TCE, 1,2-DCE, Vinyl Chloride) in groundwater over time;
- Calculating the amount of cut and fill needed to satisfy the requirements of an environmental excavation