Intellectual Property Training
Our intellectual property training, with its interactive 'experiential' training techniques, adds value to our clients' human resource and supports their internal intellectual property processes. We can tailor training courses to your needs or offer our innovative IP awareness and strategy workshop.
Intellectual Property Rights Training Workshop
An intensive, commercially-focussed workshop on the application of intellectual property rights.
What is it about?
The IP system is notoriously complex, which can present a barrier to its successful utilisation. Our unique workshop has been developed to remove the barrier by providing an immediate and engaging route to understanding the most important aspects of intellectual property law.
Using an immersive learning technique, IP rights are introduced in a commercial context. Participants work in teams to make strategic business decisions, and witness the effect that these decisions can have.
Who should attend?
The workshop is designed to benefit professionals in the following roles:
- R&D directors and managers
- Creative and marketing directors
- Design managers
- Engineering executives
- Brand development and product development managers
- Leaders of innovation initiatives
- Anyone wishing to involve innovation as a core business strategy
How will you benefit?
You will gain a unique perspective on IP rights and rapidly grasp the concepts and terminology, which will help you to engage more effectively with internal or external IP professionals. IP professionals can also benefit by gaining an insight into the commercial decisions facing managers who have to balance the risks and costs of implementing an IP strategy.
How will your business benefit?
You will increase the value of your business's intellectual asset portfolio, and reduce the risk of losing these valuable assets.
Your business will also reduce the risk of legal liability in infringing other parties' rights.
In-house sessions of this workshop can be customised to your business and used to develop an IP strategy.
In the workshop, participants simulate directing a company to make profits. This motivates players to:
- Identify the major forms of intellectual property rights including patents, copyright, trade marks, registered and unregistered design rights, and confidential information
- Learn how to obtain and secure these rights
- Understand the costs involved in IP
- Understand the effect of third-party rights and the steps that can be taken to mitigate the risk of infringement
- Understand the defensive nature of rights, to catch infringers
The training is provided by Leonard Cousins, an experienced, registered patent and trade mark attorney who has a background in research and development. The workshop was after a recognion of the need for a more effective way to communicate this complex and important subject. Leonard has successfully helped to protect innovation and branding and exploit research in areas such as telecommunications, consumer goods, aerospace, retail, professional services and product design.