NZIM has a national quality controlled mentoring service.
This service uses a detailed process to match applicants
or potential Proteges with experienced Managers or Mentors who are also
senior members of the NZIM.
The aim of the mentoring service is to assist the
protege to achieve their management career goals.
What is mentoring?
involves primarily encouragement, listening with empathy,
sharing experience and developing insight while acting
as a sounding board."
What is a Mentor?
"A Mentor assists in the personal
and professional growth of an individual by sharing the knowledge and
insights of their experience."
What is a Protege?
"A Protege is a Manager
who has a need for career guidance in a non-threatening environment
that will allow them to progress and enhance their
How does mentoring work?
• On a "one to one" basis
• Regular contact over a period of time initially
contracts are for one year
• Open and honest interaction between participants
• Identifying career goals
• Confidentiality in all discussions
• Finding alternative ways of resolving issues.
NZIM'S role is to:
• Match Mentors and Proteges according to their experience
and career needs.
• Provide guidelines and assistance as and when required
prior to and throughout the mentoring process.
• Obtain endorsement of a Mentoring Agreement by
• Ensure Mentoring evaluation Reports are produced
on time and acted upon where necessary.
• Reassign Mentors or Proteges where appropriate.
NZIM also provides one day training for potential