Freeze Dryer | Cuddon Freeze Dry
Cuddon Freeze Dry
Stainless Steel, Refrigeration, Hot Water
The FD5.5 is the smallest freeze dryer produced by Cuddon Freeze Dry, and is a popular pilot scale model often used for research and development in laboratories or larger commercial operations.
The FD5.5 is lightweight, totally enclosed, vertical in design, and is mounted on castor wheels to enable easy manoeuvrability. The small footprint of the FD5.5 freeze dryer requires a minimum space of only 900mm(W) x 900(D) x 2000(H).
The FD5.5 offers accessible entry and coupled with Cuddon Freeze Dry's buyback programme, reduces risk and capital outlay for organisations wishing to develop their own freeze drying capability.
FD5.5 Specification Summary
- Unless otherwise specified, Cuddon Freeze Dry sales include CIF freight to your nearest
international seaport, installation/commissioning/staff-training by Cuddon engineers,
and a full 12-month warranty.
Capacity and Cycle Time
- Cuddon Freeze Dry's quality acceptance test is to sublimate and condense the vapour
condenser capacity of ice within 24 hours. For the FD5.5, this equates to 5.5kg of ice.
- The chamber is mounted within an enclosed steel frame with castors for easy
manoeuvrability. The vacuum pump, refrigeration unit and the pipe work are all mounted
within the enclosed frame. The plant is pre-wired and is comprehensively tested in our
factory before delivery.
- 0.475m diameter x 0.56m long, fabricated from T304 stainless steel.
- Plates fabricated from T304 stainless steel, allowing an even internal distribution of the
heating or cooling medium. Shelf spacing can be factory set during manufacture to suit
individual loading. Two sets of T304 stainless steel product trays are supplied as
- Manufactured from T304 stainless steel tube. The assembly is bolted as a permanent
fixture inside the vacuum chamber. Refrigeration of the coil is by direct expansion via a
- Defrosting ice from the vapour condenser after a product cycle is by water. Hot water is
recommended to assist in rapid defrosting.
- The FD5.5 has one refrigeration unit which controls the stainless steel vapour condenser
temperature, and the glycol heat exchange temperature. Refrigeration condenser is air
- The vacuum pump has a capacity of about 10m3 per hour and is connected to the
chamber. A valve located above the vacuum pump is a two-position valve and either
allows a vacuum break to vent the chamber, isolating the pump, or connection to the
chamber for freeze-drying. The pump features an automatic isolating valve to hold the
chamber pressure in the event of power failure.
- The heating fluid is glycol based and is pumped by a centrifugal pump through a circuit
which allows heated or cooled fluid to be circulated through the plates on demand of the
- Edwards 503 vacuum gauge, Shimaden SR93 temperature controller, Omron H7ET run
hour meter, Telemecanique panel switches.
, Freeze Dryer
, Freeze Drying
, Hot Water
, Research and Development
, Stainless Steel
, Vacuum Pump
, Vacuum System