Custom Marine Limited - Service
Fabrication, Welding, Marine Engineering
Custom Marine can handle the maintenance of all winches professionally, so you can be assured that yours won't let you down.
Talk to us about getting your winches back in to top condition and keeping them that way! Most of the messy work is carried out back in our extensive workshop helping to keep your decks clean and tidy. We offer very cost effective servicing programs, catering for regular racing or casual cruising to keep your winch operation stress free.
Servicing winches is far from the only service we offer! Our services include:
- Repairs and rebuilds
- Deck Gear Service and Repair
- Service / inspection reports
- Stainless fabrication and Polishing
- Marine Plumbing
We can also offer competitive pricing on new Winches and Deck gear, as well as trade-in specials!
Winch maintenance tips:
- Accumulation of dirt and debris is the biggest problem for any equipment. Routinely wash down the above deck portion of the winch and chain with clean salt or fresh water.
- Remove any corrosion build up and coat with a suitable protective product. This applies especially to the gearbox and motor
- Ensure that the clutches are in good working order by releasing and re-setting them during inspection and wash down. Periodic greasing of the clutch cones with a waterproof marine grease is essential.
Prior to season:
- Above deck components should be removed and greased following the appropriate maintenance and installation instructions in the owner's manual. Check the level of oil in the gearbox and top up as per instructions if necessary
- Underdeck components should be sprayed, preferably with CRC-3097 Long Life or alternatively, CRC 6-66, CRC "Soft Seal" or Denzo (grease tape).
- Particular attention should be paid to the motor terminals, footswitch terminals, terminals on the reversing solenoids, plus the battery and isolator terminals to ensure all are in good working order
End of season:
Before storage, carry out procedures under PRIOR TO SEASON
- ABOVE DECK COMPONENTS: Clean the windlass with a cloth damp with kerosene (paraffin). Spray, preferably with CRC 3097 Long Life or, alternatively, CRC 6-66 or WD 40. Polish off with a clean non-fluffy cloth
- GEARBOX: The Maxwell gearbox is a totally self-contained sealed unit. Providing the windlass is not abused this unit should give years of trouble free service. Every three years the gearbox should be removed, oil drained, cleaned and replaced with SAE 90
- RECOMMENDED LUBRICANTS: Gearbox Oil: SAE 90, (e.g. Shell Omala 320, Castrol Alpha SP 320). Mainshaft and bearing: Marine grease, lithium based or lithium complex based, (e.g. Duckhams Keenol, Castrol LMX). Do not use soap-based grease. Above deck components: CRC 3097 spray
- Most anchor winches on vessels up to about 18 metres use 12V or 24V DC electric motors. It is important that the motor is kept well protected and serviced. Neglect of the winch's electric motor is one of the most common causes of windlass failure.
, Marine Engineering
, Marine Servicing
, Winch Servicing
Contact Custom Marine
Email - none provided
Print this page