why zero waste

By: Kaikoura District Council  06-Dec-2011

In 1998 Kaikoura adopted a policy of zero waste to landfill by 2015, only the second community in New Zealand to do this.

But why bother?  Well, in 1998 our landfill was filling up fast, estimates suggesting it would be full by 2004.

The cost of building a new landfill or joining the other Canterbury councils in developing a landfill at Kate Valley were something our community couldn’t afford.  So council decided to extend the life of its landfill and adopted Zero Waste to help us.

Since 1998 our community has reduced our waste significantly, we are now achieving over 72% diversion of waste away from the landfill, and are a national leader in Zero Waste – something to be truly proud of.  But that still leaves close to 28% of material being thrown into the landfill .. and the volume of waste is growing because of increasing tourism.

“Unless you change directions it is very likely you will end up where you are going”  (Chinese proverb)

Where is Kaikoura going?  Well, despite our progress and success at recycling, we think we only have a maximum of five years left in the landfill. So if we don’t want to pay the cost of transporting waste to another landfill, we have to double our efforts and make a difference as we did in 1998.

Innovative Waste Kaikoura’s services can assist everyone in the district to achieve achieve Zero Waste by simply reducing, reusing and recycling resources.

Follow the links below to find out more:


Contact Kaikoura District Council

Email

Print this page

Other products and services from Kaikoura District Council

06-Dec-2011

Library

If you are unable to visit the Library due to illness or disability, library staff will select books, magazines or talking books and deliver them to your home free of charge within Kaikoura. Every Monday during the school term, the library provides a story time and activity session for preschool children, from 10.30am to 11.30am.


06-Dec-2011

Swimming Pool

The Kaikoura Community Facilities Charitable Trust has commissioned an investigative study into a proposed new Aquatic Centre for Kaikoura. Managed by the Tasman Regional Sports Trust, the pool regularly hosts swimming clubs, learn to swim programmes, fun days and barbecues. The "Lions Pool" is a heated outdoor pool situated on the foreshore.


06-Dec-2011

Memorial Hall

Situated next to the Council Office on the Esplanade, the Memorial Hall is a recently refurbished hall with modern commercial kitchen and bar facilities, toilets and changing rooms. The Supper Room caters for up to 90 people, and is ideal for presentations and meetings. Memorial Hall (NOT serving alcohol). Memorial Hall and Supper Room Bond.


06-Dec-2011

Harbour

The wharf deck is designed for highway normal loading as per the Transit bridge manual, and the fendering system is designed for a boat of a maximum loading of 100 tonnes displacement (a fishing vessel of up to 20m long). Cruise ships visiting Kaikoura are now able to provide for disembarking passengers to tender boats at this new wharf, where previously these ships were limited to using the South Bay facility.


06-Dec-2011

Rural Fire Control

The Kaikoura District Council is responsible for administering the Rural Fires Act, and its role is to respond to rural fires, to monitor the fire risk and determine when it is appropriate to restrict the lighting of fires, and to issue fire permits in an environmentally sustainable manner.