We are passionate about supporting the teaching and research of Unitec staff. This guide provides a brief overview of the Library services available for staff. For full details of our services for staff please see the NEST > Departments > Academic Development > Library > Library services for academic staff () ()
High demand items such as textbooks and other resources on your My
Course Details or reading lists should be placed in the Course Reserve collection to maximise availability.
We provide library and information skills instruction to Unitec staff and students. Typical sessions include one or more of the following:
- Library orientation exercise.
- Online library catalogue instruction.
- Effective strategies for finding and evaluating information.
- Internet instruction.
- Class instruction tailored to the students' projects or assignments.
- Instruction on specific journal databases.
We teach tutorials in classrooms and computer labs, as well as in the library. If library training is organised as part of the course or endorsed by the lecturer, students can see that developing information literacy skills is an important part of the learning process. We tailor lessons to your students particular needs, skill levels or assignments. Contact the Information Literacy Librarian to organise.
Each department has a liaison librarian, who acts as a link between the library and
departments' academic staff.
- Personal library orientation. Contact your liaison librarian for a personal library orientation and introduction to our services and resources. This also gives us an opportunity to find out about your information needs.
- Information resources, especially electronic ones, are constantly changing and developing. We run an annual refresher course on the resources, sessions on new resources and we can tailor a personal session just for you anytime.
- We are experts in finding information. We suggest you discuss your research with us early in the research process.
- We regularly run sessions on Endnote.
- We need your help to ensure our collections are up to date and relevant. Contact your liaison librarian with any recommendations.
- NB. The Library is no longer responsible for ordering teaching texts. For information on how to order teaching texts please refer to your
There are a number of ways the library supports researchers at Unitec:
If you require a book or journal article which is not held by Unitec library you may obtain it through Interloans.