At Training Dogs for Life we recognise that your dog is part of your family so we offer a wide variety of training options to suit yourbusy lifestyle. From group classes, workshops that focus on specific problem behaviours, to games, tricks and agility
classes and one on one consultations
, either in home or at another suitable venue. We help you train your dog to cope with everyday doggy “challenges” so that you can live happily together-understanding each others needs.
Our training principles are based on ensuring that you and your loved one can learn at a pace and style that suits you in a fun, safe and rewarding environment.
- Groups limited to smaller numbers of 6 - 8, to maximise learning experience.
- Only positive, reward based techniques used .. no more yanking on leads!
- Classes catering to all ages and experience levels.
- Each class tailored to your experience and needs.
- Schedule of weekday and weekend classes to ensure we fit into your busy lives.
- Families and couples encouraged to join in.
- Lots of games and off lead activity to ensure both you and your dog have fun!
- Indoor facility ensuring not even the Auckland weather can spoil your training time.
Young puppies 9 to 16 weeks (prevaccinated or vaccinated groups)
Our training classes aim to put you and your puppy dog through your paces. We cover all the basic commands we believe your puppy needs to know in order to be a true pleasure to have around. We teach you how to teach your dog to:
- Lie down.
- Walk politely through doorways and gates.
- Come when called (even when there are other dogs to play with)
- Greet people and other dogs in a polite manner.
- How to leave things alone when asked.
- Walk nicely on a loose lead.
- Teach your puppy not to bite you or others.
- Housetraining- teach pup the rules of the house.
- Good Food bowl etiquette.
- Some tricks- every dog needs at least one trick to its name!
Puppy classes are run predominantly off leash so owners learn how to control their dog without the need for physical contact. Because at this age socialisation is the number one topic on your puppy’s education agenda, there is plenty of playing, but don’t think that means there is no serious learning going on! On the contrary, your pup will learn the biggest and most important lessons whilst socialising with other dogs, new people and children when it is young. Whilst attending our school, owners will gain insight into how their puppy learns best. Even if you have owned a dog before you will benefit from our trainers breadth of knowledge, with plenty of time for questions and answers.
Puppies and dogs 4 months or over
A perfect introductory training course for young puppy dogs or a continuation of training for those dogs who attended puppy pre-school elsewhere but want to learn a little more! Because our class sizes are small, each dog can advance at their own rate, we ensure you will be challenged each week
In these classes expect to cover:
- How to get your dog to pay attention to you
- Redirecting annoying behaviour
- Sit stay
- Down stay
- Off- four paws on the ground
- Come- even when there are other exciting things to do!
- Hand-signals and verbal commands
- Reinforcement techniques
- Polite greetings
- Overcoming problem behaviours
- Walking on a loose lead
- Tricks- every dog needs to show off now and again!
Our belief is that your dog must have a thorough understanding of the basic commands before they progress to more challenging training. With a good basic foundation the sky is the limit!
- for dogs who have already completed Basic Manners
For those extra keen dogs and owners we offer more advanced training. These classes focus on refining responses, increasing reliability and increasing distance control. Learn how to control your dog from a distance with your voice. When it comes to dog training, practise makes perfect!
In these classes expect to cover:
- Removing the need of a lure (visible rewards
- Verbal commands vs hand signals
- Sit and down from a distance
- Sit and down when you dog is on the move
- Back up
- Stay with distractions
- Recalls with distractions
- Emergency control.
for motivated dogs with a good command of the basics
For those who have realised that training is fun and rewarding consider continuing your education in our games school. Here we take training to a new level of fun, with the sky being the limit. Three monthly Rosette days and weekly competitions are enough to motivate the most hesitant of individuals (owner or dog), building on those basic commands and adding extra challenges into the equation. Young dogs are welcome to join after they have completed basic training to a good level.
Agility - direct your dog over obstacles such as ramps, jumps, through tunnels etc.
Games - enjoy our games training that builds on your dog’s obedience but adding in a competitive, fun flavour. Expect to compete in recall relays (training the super-quick recall) and musical chairs (training the rock solid stay) to name but a few.
Tricks - Teach your dog to play dead, bow, speak, shake paws, wipe their eyes, limp on command. Fetch the paper. Shut the door. When it comes to tricks the options are limitless.Be brave and compete for the “trick trophy” in our Rosette day where dogs have the chance to show off their newly acquired skills.
A personal training session dedicated to you and your dog.
We can either come to your home, meet in a park, or you can experience our indoor training facility, letting your dog romp around in a safe environment, rain, hail or shine.
One on one consultations can be tailored to address any specific problems or to cover basic training topics.
Perfect for new puppy arrivals, barking, separation anxiety, aggression issues, not coming when called, barking, jumping on visitors, toilet training, chewing etc. Because of our trainers inherent understanding of canine behaviour and behaviour modification techniques you can be assured you are getting the very best of help for your dog.