Basic Handling Skills (Test Only) - Just $80 Including motorcycle & helmet. Experienced riders only
Riding School, Motorcycle Training, Rider Training
Basic Handling Skills - Test Only ($80)
Basic Handling Skills
For the more experienced riders amongst you, we can offer a test only session. Should you wish to take this option, please ensure that you have practised the exercises listed below and are proficient with them prior to attending the test.
Your instructor will brief you on safety, and discuss the requirements for the test with you.
You will be given a demonstration of each exercise and a chance to warm up prior to having the test conducted
The basic handling skills test
You must ride at walking speed through a lane measuring 0.75 metres wide and 18 metres long. It must take at least 10 seconds to complete the exercise and you must not ride outside the lane.
You must ride at a speed of approximately 20km/h and stop so the motorcycle's front wheel comes to rest within a marked box. You must use both brakes and keep your feet up on the footrests until you have come to a stop.
Cone Weaving (slalom)
You must ride along a slalom course, weaving between cones placed 3.5 metres apart.
You must ride at a speed of approximately 20km/h and stop as quickly and safely as possible. You must use both brakes and keep your feet up on the footrests until you have come to a stop.
Riding a curve
You must ride up to a curve from a distance of 25 metres at a speed of 20km/h. You must then give a turn signal, adjust your speed and ride around the curve (which is 1.2 metres wide) keeping within the lines all the way.
Stopping in the curve
You must ride up to a curve from a distance of 25 metres at a speed of 20km/h. You must then adjust your speed, enter the curve and come to a stop within the curve. You must use both brakes and keep your feet up on the footrests until you have come to a stop.
Once you have your Basic Handling Skills Certificate, you can then apply for your learner licence at a driver licensing agent.
Applying for a learner licence
You will need to:
- fill out an application form at your local driver licensing agent you'll be asked if you want your licence to identify you as an organ donor
- produce your full birth certificate, passport or other proof of your identity and age and another ID that shows your current address (for a full list of acceptable forms of ID refer to LTNZ Factsheet 20 - Acceptable ID for driver licensing or call 0800 822 422)
- present your Basic Handling Skills Certificate pay the appropriate fees for the learner licence test and the learner licence application
- pass an eyesight screening
- check have your photograph taken
- provide a signature
- pass a written theory test (a comprehensive 35-question written test based on your knowledge of the Road Code, requiring you to get at least 32 questions right to pass the test).
Once you pass the test, you will be given a temporary licence, valid for 21 days, to use until you receive your learner licence in the mail. Your learner licence should arrive within 2-3 weeks.
, Motorbike Training
, Motorcycle Licence
, Motorcycle Riding
, Motorcycle Training
, Rider Training
, Riding School