"I commend the New Zealand Bar Association and the Criminal Bar Association on their determination to provide quality comprehensive and ongoing Continuing Legal Education and enhance professional standards for advocates on the front-line of the justice system." Attorney-General Christopher Finlayson, March 2010.
The NZBA is dedicated to providing continuing education to litigators. A Training Committee has been established and reports to the Bar Council. The Committee is responsible for coordinating seminars and workshops and other professional development programmes for all litigators throughout any year.
Successful programmes to date include:
- Take the Lead and Shape Your Future presented in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch
- The Art of Written Persuasion presented by Professor James C Raymond
- Never Leave Money on the Table! Negotiating Money Disputes presented by J Anderson (Andy) Little
- Civil Litigation In Crisis - What Crisis? Co-hosted with LRF
- Civil Litigation - Beyond the Crisis? Co-hosted with LRF and University of Otago's Legal Issues Centre
- Business Basics: How To Make Your Practice More Profitable presented by Richard Burcher of Validatum and Sam Bassett of Markhams
- Barristers Face Risks Too! Professional Indemnity and Risk Management presented by Philip Rzepecky of MGP Chambers, Chartis and Marsh Ltd