As a disinfecting mechanism ultraviolet has advantages over other chemical options. Some of these are:-
• The water retains its natural flavour and smell
• Effective inactivation of waterborne organisms including viruses, bacteria and protozoa and especially to chlorine resistant pathogens (e.g. Giardia, Cryptosporidium, etc)
• UV is extremely safe for operators and the public.
• UV systems do not require any transportation, storage or handling of toxic or corrosive chemicals and avoid plant staff to handle volatile, toxic substances
• UV treatment has no negative effects on aquatic life and environmentally sensitive area. • The initial capital cost and operating expenses are low compared with other disinfection technologies such as ozone, chlorine, etc…
• UV equipments are compact and easy to install
• Minimal maintenance required (typically, they are serviced annually)