Providing assurance on your financial statements is more than a routine historical compliance activity. Markhams, will take time to understand your organisation, help you stay abreast of the changing legislative and reporting environment, and provide insight into potential improvements in your internal controls.
- Working closely with you to determine the services required
- Using a risk-assessment process
- Communicating with you through all phases of the assignment
Our audit and assurance team has access to the training and technology required to allow us to deliver efficient and effective financial reporting assurance work. Our flat team structure, organisational size and the proactive involvement of senior team members, enables us to deliver a cost-efficient and professional service.
- Audit of financial statements
Thousands of New Zealand business owners across a range of industries and sectors, rely on Markhams to deliver financial audit statements.
Our experience includes:
- Local owner-managed businesses looking to provide the readers of financial statements (shareholders, bankers) with assurance
- Foreign owned businesses requiring an audit under the Companies Act
- Not for profit entities
Audits need not always be a ‘tick the box’ compliance exercise. Not if it's tailored so it works for you. We believe that an audit should seek to go beyond the numbers to uncover opportunities for improvement in controls and obtain a higher quality of information to assist with more effective day-to-day decisions.
Many joint venture companies also choose to have an audit to provide shareholders with comfort that the financial statements are accurate, and to ensure that the disclosures made in those financial statements are complete.
Review engagements provide a lower level of assurance than an audit. A review engagement is a standardised level of assurance that can prove useful in obtaining funding, bank finance, or simply providing shareholders with comfort. As the level of work performed is substantially less than an audit, a review can be a cost effective alternative for those companies or not- for-profit groups that are not legally required to have an audit.
- Financial reporting consulting
The move to reporting under NZ IFRS has left many companies reporting a substantially increased quantity of information. If you have publicly available financial statements, we recommend that the contents of these be reviewed to ensure that the quality of disclosure and range of content provided is appropriate for your circumstances. Gain assurance that your business is fully compliant with the ever-changing requirements of NZ IFRS.
- Special purpose engagements
Sometimes you may have specific internal controls or require customised financial information. The range of services we are able to provide is broad and includes:
- Internal control reviews
- Completion and post completion account reviews
- Litigation and dispute resolution support
- Specific item audits – for example stock or debtors
- Real Estate Trust Account Audits