Financing Your Build

By: Building Guide  06-Dec-2011
Keywords: Building Contract

1. Arrange finance to purchase a section and have preapproved finance in place to build the home. Remember to allow for lighting, carpets, curtains, driveway, paths, decks, grass and fencing and other landscaping items

2. Buy the section

3. Decide on suitable plans with your builder/architect

4. Get a valuation, using the house plans and building specifications you have chosen for your new home. This is where an independent property valuer reports to the lender on what the property will be worth once complete. To do this they look at your plans, specifications and your vacant section

5. Take a copy of your building contract to your lawyer

6. Once you are happy with the building contract arrange for a copy of this to be taken to your finance professional so finance can be confirmed

7. The building contract is normally confirmed at this point with a deposit paid to your builder. If you do not have the available funds to meet this then speak with your finance
professional for guidance

8. Progress payments commence

9. Nearing completion of your new home you will be advised of a handover date. It’s really important you advise your finance professional of this date as early as you possibly can. The handover date is where you get the keys to your house in return for final payment. For the lender/bank to release these final monies they will need:

  • A copy of your house insurance starting from the date of handover. Your insurance must include your lender as an interested party
  • A completion certificate, provided by the valuer, so the bank knows the house is fully completed
  • A Code Compliance Certificate, which is issued by the local council. Your builder would normally arrange this once all work is complete

Keywords: Building Contract

Other products and services from Building Guide


Architectural Designers

To be eligible for membership of Architectural Designers New Zealand Inc , members must hold arecognised certificate or diploma, undertake compulsory professional development, and have their skills assessed to ensure they meet the requirements of the ADNZ Competency Standards.


Building Guide - Products

There is a plethora of options for all aspects of building, from the materials you use in the structure to the electronics you install in your home; from the insulation to the interior lining to the flooring and floor covering, roofing and more.



Work with your chosen professional reasonably early in your planning, as their expertise and knowledge can save you time and money and give you what you want. The control of water around your house gives you the water where you need it, at the right temperature and the right time - without leaking.


Master Builders, Certified Builders, Independent Builders

There are specialist project management companies and, while this maybe a bit more expensive, this can take many of the hassles out of the whole building process and will help ensure you have a quality job. You may choose to have your architect or designer stay on as full project manager or you may have an arrangement where your builder is the project manager and the designer takes on an overview role.


Kitchen Design & Manufacturing

Your architect or building designer may wish to play a large part in the design of your kitchen but specialist kitchen designers and manufacturers are better suited to design and manufacture your dream kitchen off site and can install it before you move in. Try to put items of high use such as fridges and rubbish bins near the entrance to the kitchen so that other people can access them safely without entering the working part of the kitchen.


Bathroom Design, Layout, Renovation

The fashion is for larger tiles rather than smaller and these help convey a sense of a larger space when the room in small; conversely, small mosaic tiles are still very fashionable and work well in small spaces, too. Electrical and sanitary connections there is a real risk of causing accidental damage to your property which may not be covered by your home insurance unless you have taken separate renovation cover.