SQUIDGE THE BEAGLE: LET OFF THE HOOK

By: Animal Emergency  05-Apr-2012
Keywords: Veterinarian, Animal Emergency, Veterinary Specialist

Squidge came to the Animal Emergency Centre via his usual veterinarian, where an x-ray had shown the fishhook stuck half way along his oesophagus. The medicine specialist from the Veterinary Specialist Group was called in, but was unable to visualise the hook using an endoscope, and it was over to the on-call specialist surgeon to investigate further. All was revealed when the surgeon opened Squidge’s chest to find the fishhook had pierced his oesophagus and was lying perilously close to one of the major blood vessels near the heart. A few millimetres closer and Squidge would have bled to death.

Squidge sure knows how to get as many people as possible working together on a public holiday weekend! Once the delicate surgical procedure was over with, and after a few days in intensive care, Squidge was feeling well enough to go home.

This summer, whether or not you’re keen on fishing, keep an eye out for discarded tackle if you walk your dog near the sea. If your dog does swallow a fish hook, seek immediate veterinary attention, and DON’T PULL on the line as this might cause serious internal injury.

Keywords: Animal Emergency, Animal Emergency Centre, Emergency Centre, Veterinarian, Veterinary Specialist, Veterinary Specialist Group,

Other news and updates from Animal Emergency

05-Apr-2012

BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS | Animal Emergency Clinic

Without skilled staff, the correct blood delivery equipment, the blood products and the experience it would be a nervous business embarking on a transfusion. For the Animal Emergency Centre it is about being the best we can be in order to give each of our sick patients the greatest possible chance of survival.


05-Apr-2012

THE HAZARDS OF CHRISTMAS | Animal Emergency Clinic

Vomiting and diarrhoea are common at lower doses, but high blood pressure, dehydration, and a racing heart can occur, with seizures or even death resulting in extreme cases. While we believe that cooking disables the toxin, it is probably a good idea to keep your dog away from dried fruit, Christmas cake, Christmas pudding and mince pies. Most of us know that chocolate is toxic to dogs, but it can also be lethal to rabbits, rodents and cats.


05-Apr-2012

24/7 HOSPITAL CARE | Animal Emergency Clinic

Overnight care is not restricted to AEC and VSG patients, and many local practices use this service, sending pets to Animal Emergency Centre following major surgery, or for intensive monitoring of medical cases such as complicated diabetes.