Tips to Extend the Life of Your Washing Machine, Dryer, Fridge Freezer and Decrease Servicing Costs
Tips for your Washing Machine
- Clean out lint filters regularly. If you turn the tap on, water should flow straight through. If it fills up, it needs cleaning.
- Clothes still dirty?
- Use the right amount of detergent (check the detergent box for recommendations). If you use too little your clothes may be still dirty after washing. If you use too much your clothes may be able to see detergent flakes after washing.
- Don”t overloaded the washing machine. Ensure you pile up the clothes loosely. If you are packing them down then you are overloading it.
If your Washing Machine won’t start or won’t fill with water
- Check that the water taps are turned on
- Check the power point is operating (with another small appliance)
- Check the lid is closed (the machine won”t start if it it open)
- The out of balance switch may have triggered previously. Open and close lid to reset
- The delay start may still be set from last time. Press start/pause twice
- The drain hose may be too low (which siphons water right out of the machine). Raise drain hose.
If your Washing Machine will not spin
- Check the washing machine is not set to “Drip Dry” or “Wash & Soak”. Select “Normal”
- The washing machine may have gone out of balance. Redistribute washing, and press start
- Drain hose may be blocked. Unblock it
- Too many suds will prevent spinning. Wait for an hour or rinse suds away with water
Tips for your Dryer
- Clean out dryer filters after every use as this makes drying time more effective and saves power.
- Clean out venting hoses regularly to minimise fire risk and to save power.
- Ensure the venting hoses vent outside. If the warm damp air stays in your laundry room the dryer will take longer
Tips for your Frost-Free Refrigerator
- Turn off your frost-free refrigerator for at least a day, once every 3 years to prevent the build up of excess ice in the air ducting and entry pipes to the evaporator.
- To improve efficiency and reduce power consumption, remove dust from floor under refrigerator, and from the motor area (because dust gets sucked up into the condenser and the compressor and prevents efficient air flow).
- To prevent squeaking and folding of seal along the hinged side of the door, smear Vaseline along the entire length of the seal and the where the seal connects with the cabinet surface.