Akamai Enhanced DNS is an outsourced secondary Domain Name Service that dependably directs users to your Web sites. We use multiple redundant name servers distributed throughout the global Akamai platform to improve reliability and performance. We also:
- Use IP Anycast to back up each advertised name server's IP address with multiple machines spread worldwide
- Improve availability – backed by an industry leading SLA
- Complement Akamai's Content Delivery solutions
Because Akamai provides secondary hosting, you can continue to administer zone data on your primary name servers – there's no need to change your processes.
How it Works
First your DNS zones are configured on your primary nameserver. Subsequently, zones can be delegated to the Akamai nameserver platform through our customer portal. We perform standard zone transfers from your master name server to multiple Akamai name servers. When you instruct the Domain Registrar that Akamai's name servers will resolve your zone authoritatively, our servers in multiple geographies and networks provide name resolution directly to end users according to refresh and retry parameters in the Start of Authority DNS record.
Why have Akamai perform DNS resolution for you?
- Faster, more reliable resolution through global redundancy
- No need to change existing business processes
- Expertise in providing a robust scalable DNS infrastructure
DNSSEC for EDNS
DNSSEC support is now available for Enhanced DNS. DNSSEC is a fully managed service and existing EDNS customers can implement the DNSSEC solution by simply checking the "Sign and Serve DNSSEC" box on the Akamai customer portal.
Integration and Professional Services
Akamai solutions are supported by an award-winning team that has integrated hundreds of Akamai customers across a number of Akamai service offerings through a well-established methodology.